Trip to Niesen Mountain, Spiez and Gstaad 🇨🇭

Note: Since this is the second half of the article, please read the first part of my trip Trip to Iseltwald, Lake Brienz & Lake Thun, Interlaken and Sigriswil. I divided it into two parts to make it more convenient for my readers:) Thank you for reading!

Red Funicular train and the railway 


Day two was equally exciting, rather more adventurous than day one. After having heavy breakfast, we started our journey from Bern around nine in the morning. It took us an hour car journey to reach 
Mülenen from Bern. 

From Mülenen, we climbed up to Niesen Kulm on a funicular train. It was an amazing, one of a kind experience; I thoroughly enjoyed the train ride despite having massive adrenaline rush moments several times during the ride.

The Niesen railway is one of the oldest funicular railways in Switzerland.
 The historical funicular railway began its services in 1910. 




Way back from Niesen Kulm





The first 15 minutes train journey took us from the lower station in Mülenen to the middle station in Schwandegg. From Schwandegg, it took us another 15 minutes to reach Niesen Kulm.
 

As the red Niesenbahn trains took off and as we climbed higher, the picturesque views throughout the journey were to die for. Breathtakingly beautiful views of the surrounding Alps, Blue Lake Thun far beneath, colorful forest, Swiss Cows grazing in green lush grasses, and the stunning landscape made up for the several adrenaline rush throughout the journey.

Stunning view from Niesen Kulm 

Stunning view from Niesen Kulm 

The feeling when you finally reach Niesen Kulm which stands elegantly at 2,362m is beyond words. The cold breeze that touches your face leaves you feeling totally refreshed. Thank God for a sunny day, the view of Lake Thun and the stunning panoramic view of the Swiss Alps were truly spectacular. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Niesen Kulm and our funicular ride back.

Afterwards, we visited Spiez, a small elegant town on the shore of Lake Thun. A town surrounded with castles and other heritage sites. Though we could not visit the castles, sights and landmarks, we went for a pleasant ride across the town. We settled down for a nice lunch in a beautiful restaurant with amazing view of Lake Thun. 
 

Finally, I could order something actually vegetarian (because I had been having issues with food order, I had no idea that the Swiss people (or is it the Europeans) consider fish as a vegetarian dish. So every time I ordered a vegetarian meal, they added fish.

That's my veggie set :) Loved it!

After lunch, we said goodbye to our host family. They returned to Bern and we started our ride to Gstaad, another place I was super excited to visit. I had always wondered if Gstaad was as beautiful as they showed in the movies, I was super pleased to find out that it is even more stunning in real. Such scenic views – beautiful villages by the road side, stunning view of the Swiss Alps, beautiful castles and churches, Swiss cows (my fav), green lush fields, colorful forest, yellow fallen leaves – oh, it gives me goose bumps as I describe its beauty.

That's Early Beck café :)
Beautiful Streets of Gstaad


Truly a nature paradise, Gstaad will remain one of my favorite Swiss cities. I thoroughly loved and enjoyed our little time in Gstaad, the landscape looked as if it had come right out of a canvas.

We walked along the street, I cannot describe how wonderful it felt, we went to the café where the famous DDLG movie was filmed (Early Beck) and also to the train station. We reached back to Geneva around midnight and had the soundest sleep.

 

My caffé mocha in Early Beck ;)

The trip was a dream come true for me, I felt like I finally visited the ‘authentic Switzerland’. The two days trip to wonderland left me refreshed and happy. It took me a while to take in all that I had seen, felt and experienced. And as I write it, I feel the same emotions that I felt for days after the visit.  

Popular posts from this blog

108-Kora (circumambulation) of Dra Karpo Lhakhang in Paro, Bhutan

Trip to Iseltwald, Lake Brienz & Lake Thun, Interlaken and Sigriswil 🇨🇭

Visit to Five Tsheringma Lhakhangs in Paro, Bhutan